Saturday, October 31, 2015

Cinderella Ate My Daughter
Peggy Orenstein

Reflection/Quotes

Looking back to my childhood, I did play with barbie dolls and American girl dolls. I watched Disney Princess Movies and I loved watching the happy endings. I do not regret playing with all of these toys because it conjures memories of spending time with my sisters and friends. Despite that, I hate what these toys and movies can teach young children, especially young girls.
This chapter was so thought provoking. One thought I had was that that I never had a favorite princess, I thought it was strange that I did not. Now I believe it had a positive impact on my life. Tinkerbell was my favorite and still is now. Her spunky wings, her simple green outfit, her ability to fly was fascinating, and her lack of make up. I made fairy houses and wore fairy costumes. I pretended that I could fly. I did not want a dress or make up to have fun, it seemed unnecessary to my young eyes. I always felt weighted down. How could a fairy fly if she felt weighted down?
 While reading this section I thought how in Tinkerbell world, Pixie Hollow all fairies have some kind of power that makes all of them equal. Tinkerbell has the power of creating items that benefit the land of Pixie Hallow, her friend of water has power to control the water. Another one of her friends has a power to help and heal animals. It is a world where no one is better than one another instead its a place where people work together. It is fantasy but there are places in reality that are like this. For example, The Dancin Feeling. This studio operates because there are 9 Ballroom instructors and two assistants that make the studio a success. The co owners, Kathy and Randy cannot operate this studio without the help of the other instructors and assistants. In the world of a princess, they would not allow a place like the Dancing Feelin to operate the way it does because there can only be one princess so there could only be one dance instructor.

Orenstein explains a story of picking up her daughter from preschool, when her daughter has learned that only one princess is allowed per land. "Daisy had only one fight with her best friend during their three years of preschool- a conflict so devastating that, at pick up time, I found the other girl sobbing in the hallway? My darling daughter had insisted that there could only be one Cinderella in their games-only one girl who reigned supreme." "Princesses may confide in a
sympathetic mouse or teacup, but at least among the best-known stories, they do not have girlfriends." In all of the movies, the people work for the royal princess as "she rules the land." The rules are; men work outside the home while the women clean, cook and care for the children. Young boys play until dark while girls play with their dolls inside, making them look pretty and attractive. When you see they princess she has make up on, their hair is styled just "right", they are wearing fancy long gowns with matching heels and they have make up on. It would not be socially accepted for a princess to be seen in yoga pants, t- shirt, and sweatshirt without any make up on. Princesses would not be seen in a movie like that so a young girl who plays with Disney dolls would not imagine a day without make up or dresses while playing dress up.

Once I was old enough to play with American Girl dolls, I was given Kit Kittredge for my birthday. I can remember the excitement I felt once I ripped apart of the wrapping paper on my birthday. She came in her "Meet Kit Outfit". I had such fun bringing her to life as I played with her alongside my sisters and their dolls, Addy and Molly. Our parents told all three of us how special it was to have an American Girl doll so we had to treasure it. At the time I was scared to find out what would happen if we did not care for them so I treated my doll like it was just like my favorite stuffed animal. I would always make sure Kit would be in a safe spot while I was not with her. I kept her dressed and my mom would help me organize all of her all outfits and extras she came with. 

 Receiving these pieces of Kit's "life" was a big deal as we did collect all of them as they were so expensive. I remember I had the her lunch set, her bed, her school supplies, a holiday outfit, her typewriter set, and possibly the table and chairs. I do remember reading the stories that came with her, I was fascinated that my doll was from an historic era. Kit grew up during the thirties, during the depression. She learned how appreciate life and what her family had. Kit even went out to find a way to help her family during the difficult time. I knew Kit was a doll but I remember treating them with more respect than barbie dolls. American Girl may not be any better than Barbie, despite that I am not sure it affected me like is has other girls. Orenstein brings up a fact that relates to my thoughts on American Girl, "The dolls are eighteen inches high with notably realistic, childlike proportions, no barbie bosoms here." Orenstein seems respect the doll in the sense that they do not look like adults, it shows children that Kit, Addy, Molly and Kristen are young and that being young is an important fun time of everyone's life. She touches on that this dolls literally have a story, "Their worlds can be re-created with astonishingly detailed period clothing, furniture, and other paraphernalia.

The kit for Kit, a Depression ear girl who dreams of being a journalist, includes a miniature "reporter she lived through the depression. She was forced to move to the attic because her parents had to rent her room out to another family so they could survive during that ruff time. I was able to appreciate the Kit extras I had because I only a few items that belonged to Kit. Orenstein said "the creator of American Girl said she wanted her dolls to offer an alternative, normally inspiring vision of girlhood, one that would, in the process, express her own passion for history." 
set" with an authentic looking leather bound notebook, tiny pencil, and eraser; a period camera and a stack of newspapers, tied with twine, showing her byline splashed across the front page." I think if each American Girl doll had a little less tangible items it might hold a more powerful statement. I personally did not have all of the team Kit had, I believe that was important. Kit did not have a lot growing up as

Orenstein seemed worried to open this world to her daughter. However, she did say "Reading the books, though, I was struck by their representation of the past as a time not only in which girls were improbably independent, feisty, and apparently without constraint but, in a certain way, in which they were more free than they are today." I do not balme her for worrying because showing the right image can be hard. She felt falling into the material world as she said " In fact, Kit, Addy,Molly, and their friends could never afford the dolls that represent them- an irony that became particularly piquant in fall 2009 with the introduction of Gwen, a $95 limited edition doll who was supposed to be homeless." When she was at the store with her daughter she felt distraught as she spent $500 dollars on one doll and the extra pieces. It is not giving her daughter the wrong image, these dolls should be showing the importance of being a kid, using what you have. These girls in their stories did not have a lot growing up. These dolls are falling short of showing young girls how to have fun as a child because it has become all about having everything that Kit has and if you have it at home. 
Final thoughts: we must be careful with how we are shown toys as young children as what we are taught young live with us after we walk into adulthood. Lessons that we learn can long lasting effects in more way than you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment