Sunday, September 27, 2015

Generation M












Media as a Feminist Issue
Generation M viedo

Hyperlinks



Generation M reminds us that at a young age, girls are told that they find happiness through their appearance. We are told that girls focus on make up and shopping. This idea or "norm" is false. The media teases us which leads to girls believing in the messages from the media. For example, one in five girls feel negative affects when not wearing make up according to an article called, "From Barbie's to Blush." That is ridiculous, I did not start wearing make up officially until I turned 18 years old. I would wear it sometimes before then, however I did not feel the most comfortable wearing it. I did not understand the reason for make up. It seemed more like paint to me. It was more enjoyable to use paint on a canvas than your face. Make up shows you an ideal of what you could look like but underneath it is simply a accent to your appearance.




There are so many other negative effects of the media put toward young girls and women. The video, "Generation M" reminds us of that as it states, 95% of people affected by eating disorders are women and 80% of girls who live in California have been on a diet by 4th grade. http://www.mirror-mirror.org/perfect-body-image.htm  This link states the reality, something that the media neglects to mention, what really happens beneath the surface. Girls should not have to feel that they can only eat this much or eat this because that dessert has too many calories. Girls and women should feel that it is okay to eat what is appropriate for you body. Women and young girls go to doctors so they are told what is good to eat and what should be avoided. These doctors are being ignored because of the media, the media does not know what is the right height and weight for a girl or women. A doctor knows, someimtes I have to remind myself that I look great and do not need to go on diet. Its difficult but I could not image cutting a sweet like cookies out of my life or throwing it back up so I look a certain way. I do not understand why girls feel the need to be constant diet after diet. Listen to the people you trust because the media is not something you can trust.

Even though my perspective on my body image is positive now does not mean it was like that while growing up. I am sure that i can vouch for other woman as well. It was embarrassing when you knew you could not fit into the clothes at the store Limited too. It was crisis because at the time everyone wore those clothes, so it did leave others out of the club. I personally felt uncomfortable because whether you like it you would be judged by what you wore to school. During elementary school and middle school we all wanted to conform to being essentially Barbie. A doll, who was skinny, had pretty blond hair, very tall and great size feet. Thankfully at some point we all discover how that is impossible. The article from New York Daily news states that her measurements of her body would not allow her to walk and function as a human. Barbie would have to walk on all fours, like a dog or a cat. Barbie was made to 5' and 9"and weight 110 pounds. The average american women is 5'4" and weighs in around 166 pounds. Barbie's waist does not even hold all her organs as it is only 16 inches. Which only holds half a liver and a section of intestines.  There is a picture alongside Barbie, it is a women who looks like an average women. She has proportional height with realistic size feet, and she can walk on her feet.

Women are forced to look a certain way. Through this force, women are only hurting themselves. Looking at the bigger picture, all women are beautiful. The beauty is seen through our differences. This women within the video tells us about her life, how she is seen as a tall women. The media is so focused on our appearance when beneath the skin is far more important.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you as well, wearing make up to me was weird when I was younger. Everyone around loved putting on make up but me not so much. Even now I only wear makeup when I'm going out but not on a day to day basis. The whole I idea of the "perfect" body is ridiculous and its sad that that's how this society is.

    ReplyDelete